Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 15

Got the call this morning that all 5 of our embryos are still growing and doing well (the nurse even said they were above average) and we are going to do a 5 day transfer on Friday. Yay! I did not get much sleep last night. I did a lot of reading yesterday about the risks vs. benefits of transferring 1 or 2 embryos on day 3 and was feeling some stress about making the best decision. Now I don't have to worry about that at all, since we have known all along we would just transfer 1 if we made it to day 5. As much as having 2 babies at once would be great (you know, 2 for the price of 1) and I have no doubts about my ability to mother twins, a high-risk pregnancy really scares me. I am at an increased risk for preeclampsia as well as gestational diabetes, so a twin pregnancy would be extra risky. Not to mention the very small chance that one or more embryo could split and I could have 3-4. Yikes. So we are doing a single embryo transfer (SET) to give us the lowest risk of multiples. Best case scenario is we will transfer 1 and still have 1 or more to freeze for the future.

The next few days are going to drag so I am going to try and keep busy, not obsess over statistics, and keep hoping for the best. All of your support and positive vibes are so encouraging, so thank you so much.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for more things going well! I am really praying that things will work out! Dan has a cousin that did IVF and they transferred 2 embryos and one split into 3 and both implanted (or whatever the correct term is), so they ended up having quadruplets. They are all healthy 3 year olds now, but they were pretty early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such awesome news! Good vibes headed your way. Pregnancy is definitely in the air right now. :)

    ReplyDelete