Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 12- Egg retrieval

Well, the good news is it is over and I survived the anesthesia, which I was very nervous about. I woke up in quite a bit of pain, but woke up easy and didn't need to go back to sleep. The whole process only took about 20-30 minutes.

The bad news is, we only got one egg. Yep, just one. To say I am disappointed is a huge understatement, but it is what it is. It just seems like an awful lot of work, meds, appointments, and effort for one little egg. But I have to stay hopeful that our one egg will have superpowers and will be our golden egg. After all, it really only takes one. This is what our body normally has to work with each cycle.

The next hurdle is fertilization. We are using a process called intracytoplasmic sperm injection, or ICSI, which is where they select one sperm and inject it into the egg. The other option is to let the egg fertilize naturally, but John's morphology number was low enough that our insurance approved the ICSI, so we figured we might as well do it since it's covered and usually results in a higher fertilization rate.

I should get a call tomorrow afternoon to let me know if our little egg fertilized. If it did, then they will continue to let it grow in the lab and then Monday I will find out if we will be doing the transfer Tuesday or Thursday, but it will most likely be Tuesday.

One other great thing about today was that my doctor was the one on duty today, so she did my retrieval. I really love my doctor, she is amazing. Having a weekend ER meant I would just get the luck of the draw and in this case, I got lucky. She was very caring and talked to me quite a bit today and reassured me that if this cycle doesn't work, that we will be much more aggressive with my protocol, now that she knows there is such a low risk of me over-responding. She and I both knew I could respond poorly, but she really thought we would have a few more to work with.

I am still in quite a bit of pain, it's like really bad menstrual cramps with some added pressure. My doctor prescribed some Vicodin, so that and a heating pad has helped. I am just taking it easy the rest of the day and trying to stay positive. So if you all could pray/send good vibes/plead with the universe or whatever it is you feel comfortable with, for my little egg, I would really appreciate it.

Waiting for my turn. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am wishing superpowers on your one little egg. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete