Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 6




Well, we are pushing forward with this cycle. Today at my ultrasound she was able to measure 3 follicles between 13.6-14.4mm. My lead follicle/cyst is 22mm, but even if it has an egg in it, it will likely not be viable by the time we get to egg retrieval (ER). Anything over 20mm can be "over ripe." But my E2 level only went up to 264 (from 212 yesterday) so most likely the 22mm is a cyst, which means it is a follicle that doesn't contain an egg. It's still possible that having a big follicle like that will keep my other follicles from growing (the dominant follicle hogs all the estrogen, or something like that). So I will continue my injections for two more nights and then have my next check on Tuesday morning and hope for some good growth of the 3 smaller follicles. I will also add Ganirelix, the antagonist of my protocol, which will keep me from ovulating on my own (especially necessary in case the 22mm is an egg). It's possible I could have my ER as early as Thursday this week, depending on how the other 3 are growing and how well my E2 levels are rising.

Overall, I feel slightly better than I did yesterday (because one more follicle was measurable today) and I have 3 potential eggs for ER. It is a not a great number. I knew I wouldn't have a great number, but it's still sad that, even with all the drugs, my body can't seem to cooperate. It is hard to stay positive with these numbers, but I have to stay positive and remember that it really only takes one. It doesn't help that physically, I feel pretty crappy. I have a headache almost all the time, I have no appetite, I'm nauseous all day, I'm not sleeping well, and I'm tired pretty much all the time. Which reminds me of this ecard:

Funny Somewhat Topical Ecard: Why are there no good side effects? Just once I'd like to read a medication bottle that says 'may cause extreme sexiness'.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling a little better today. I'm sorry for the crappy side effects. The ecard quote is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bethany! Just wanted to check in with you. Sorry about your lead follicle :( I hate that nothing in this process is simple or easy. I hope that the other follicles continue to grow and this turns out to be a great cycle for you.
    AFM_ I am starting clomid today... I'm glad that I get a little break from the IVF craziness but feel like I am back in the dark ages with this IUI cycle- LOL!
    I'm around if you need to talk. I hope the side effect start to lessen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still pretty sure the lead follie is a cyst and my doctor isn't worried about it, so I can't be either.
      I'm glad you are getting started with IUI, even if you are back in the dark ages. :-) I feel like I should be doing IUI with how few follies I have, but we are still planning to push forward with the IVF since this might be as good as it gets.

      Delete
  3. That e-card is hilarious. It's true, why do drugs only ever have bad side effects? I hope that you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled across your blog. I hope you start feeling better soon, and start seeing some good progress. I struggled with infertility too, during my first marriage. I know how difficult it can be as well. Sending good vibes east for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen and good to hear from you! Sorry to hear you understand my struggle but thanks for the good vibes. :-)

      Delete